Combat Acne & Glow Through the Holidays: A Skin-Saving Guide
The holiday season is in full swing, but let's not forget about our skin amidst the festivities. 🎉 Here's your guide to navigating potential skin challenges and ensuring you step into the new year with as few new breakouts as possible!
1. Dietary Changes: Nourish Your Skin from Within
During the holidays it's inevitable that you're going to enjoy a sweet treat or two (hundred, that is). It's the reality of the silly season and that is OKAY! There are things we can do to reduce the impact these sweet treats can have on our gut and skin coming into the New Year.
- Opt for nutrient-dense meals to support skin health, so while you're shovelling down some chocolate, add some protein and healthy fats in there somewhere too! Or, alternate chocolate for fruit (we know it's hard).
- Aim for regular meals every 3-4 hours to maintain blood sugar balance. From the 24th-30th December, I don't think anyone knows what day or time it is... BUT, try your best to remain consistent with proper meals where you can. The best thing you can do is start your day with a protein-packed, nutrient-dense breakfast (save the AM chocolate eating for Easter).
- Stay on track with your daily vitamins & supplements that help your gut and skin. Make sure you're taking 1 Gut Maintain capsule daily throughout the silly season, so you're at least providing your gut microbiome with some love to keep things on track.
2. Increased Alcohol Consumption & Your Skin: Sip Smartly
EEEEP, we know there's going to be a few alcoholic beverages involved! And that is okay, but let's keep our skin goals in mind. More alcohol consumption means poor detoxification and increased inflammation which leads to symptoms like acne and bloating (plus much more). Here's what you can do:
- Set limits for alcohol to prevent skin issues like acne and inflammation
- Choose less sugary options and consider non-alcoholic alternatives. Wine is probably a better option than cocktails and spirit + mixer is probably better than premixed options (cruisers, we're looking at you).
- Support your detox pathways post-indulging with the Inside & Out Gut Program. Opt for a 20-Day Program to give your gut & skin a gentle detox & cleanse.
3. Less Exercise During the Holidays: Move That Body
The reality is, you're going to eat a lot of food, which is probably going to result in multiple food coma's and you not wanting to leave the couch! But, this is where we have to remember our healthy habits that our gut & skin will love us for long-term. So, here's what you need to do:
- If it's not realistic for you to get to the gym then just focus on steps and movement as a whole. The easiest way to do this is in the morning, before too many distractions and other commitments get in the way. Make it super easy and achievable for yourself. 5000 steps is roughly a 45min brisk walk!
- Option two is to get off your butt and play some Christmas games! You'd be surprised at how you can genuinely break a sweat by playing Pictionary or transferring candy canes from one bowl to the next only using your mouth... try it!
4. Disrupted Sleep & How to Improve It
Changes in routine, late-night festivities, stress, and increased screen time can disrupt sleep patterns which can lead to gut and hormone changes = skin breaking out!
- Aim for 7-8 hours sleep if you can
- Minimise screen time before bedtime so you can fall into a restful sleep
- Reduce alcohol consumption 1-2 hours before sleeping
- Stick to your same nighttime routine. Maybe you have a skincare regime, read a book, drink a tea. Whatever it is, try your best to stick to it.
5. Higher Stress Levels
The silly season is a fun time, but gosh it can be STRESSFUL?! The pressure to not burn the Christmas ham, or forget the paper-towel your dad demanded you to bring OR see the in-laws you've been avoiding...Here's how to manage your stress levels:
- Stick to your normal routine as much as possible e.g. exercise, daily habits, sleep routine etc.
- Set realistic boundaries and delegate tasks. Don't overwhelm yourself!
- Prioritise self-care where you can.
REMEMBER: Clear Skin Takes Time!
Skin healing takes time and usually it takes roughly 6-8 weeks to show improvements. This means that if you want clearer skin in the New Year, that will be determined by the choices you make now.
Need a Skin Overhaul?
Join the 30 Day Skin Reset to kickstart the New Year, so you can be on your way to healthier, glowing, clearer skin. Simply take the quiz here to find the Skin Reset Program most suitable for your needs. Get started with us on January 1st and within 30 days your skin & gut will be thanking you for it!
Say goodbye to holiday-induced breakouts and start 2024 with the clearer skin you've been hoping for x